Anne Moran

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preceded byGraham Inns AM
Succeeded byMichael Harbison
Born (1955-02-06) 6 February 1955 (age 71)
Anne Moran
Deputy Lord Mayor of Adelaide
In office
6 March 1999  May 13, 2000
Lord MayorJane Lomax Smith
Preceded byGraham Inns AM
Succeeded byMichael Harbison
Councillor of the City of Adelaide
In office
6 May 1995  14 November 2022
Personal details
Born (1955-02-06) 6 February 1955 (age 71)
PartyIndependent
SpousePatrick Moran
ChildrenYvette, Nick and Charles
EducationFlinders University
University of Adelaide
OccupationTeacher
Councillor
Businesswoman

Anne Moran (born February 6, 1955) is a businesswoman, teacher and former local government politician. She served on the City of Adelaide Council from 1995 to 2022, including as Deputy Lord Mayor from 1999 to 2000. Moran was the first female councillor to achieve 25 years of continuous service with the City of Adelaide.[1]

Moran has been described as a "fearless advocate for her community" who "never backed down from a stoush" who was also criticised as being an "opposer of almost everything that could be construed as modern development".[2][3]

Moran was born in Barmera, South Australia on 6 February 1955.[4] The daughter of a General practitioner, the family moved to Adelaide when she was eight years old. She attended Rose Park Primary School and later St Peter's Girls' School. She spent a year in and out of the Adelaide Children's Hospital being treated for Rheumatic fever.

Moran studied English and History at Flinders University and the University of Adelaide and become a teacher working across Adelaide High School, Henley High School, and Norwood International High School. She once told The Advertiser she was an "absolutely shocking" teacher because she "couldn't keep them in their seats".[4]

Local Government career

Moran's entrance into local politics came while campaigning to protect a two-storey bluestone building on the corner of Hutt and Wakefield Street which housed the House of Chow restaurant. [5] She participated in a 78-day vigil to save the structure and presented Council with a 400-person-strong petition. The building was razed in July 1991. [6] The demolition of the building triggered a wave of interest in heritage preservation at the Adelaide City Council.

Moran contested one of two positions in Robe Ward on the Adelaide City Council in 1993 but narrowly lost.[7] She would go on to be elected in 1995. Serving under Lord Mayor of Adelaide Henry Ninio, the two clashed over opposing views on urban development and heritage conservation. After Ninio was forced to relinquish his role as principal spokesperson for the council, Moran emerged as one of the council's new figureheads.[8] She was a critic of the Council paying $20,000 to employ a public relations person to become its official spokesperson. [3]

In 1997, Jane Lomax-Smith was elected Lord Mayor. Lomax-Smith's pro-heritage agenda saw 1300 properties added to the Local Heritage Register, of which Moran was a supporter. In 1999, she became Deputy Lord Mayor - the first time two women had held senior leadership roles on the council for the first time in history. [9]

Moran had been a vocal about the future of the old LeCornu Furniture store site at 88 O'Connell Street in North Adelaide, mostly around the height and size of any such development. [3] Since 1989, the site had been subject to at least six different plans, ranging in height from six to eight storeys. [10] The piece of land became a long-running urban planning and community concern in North Adelaide. The Council considered buying the site in 2001, but later abandoned plans. Speaking about concerns about the height of proposals, Moran told The Advertiser: "I'd imagine that this tall building could look into everybody's back yard from here to Prospect". [11]

In 2017, the Council under Lord Mayor Martin Haese voted to buy the site from developer Con Makris, alongside Premier Jay Weatherill. [12] Moran at the time told the ABC: "The perfect solution would have been for the developers to develop within the plan rather than outside the plan, or a compulsory acquisition, but neither of those were forthcoming." [12] Moran was one of a two councillors who criticised the City of Adelaide Council for keeping a chosen developer for the site confidential, claiming it was in the public interest. [13] She later accused the Council of "gagging" her and fellow councillor Philip Martin. [14]

Moran unsuccessfully contested the 2022 Adelaide City Council election, losing her spot as an Area Councillor to former union boss Janet Giles. [15] This was her first election loss in 27 years.

In 2025, she announced she would contest the Central Ward by-election, saying she had learned her lesson from a previously disruptive term of Council. [16] [17] [18] [19] She ran on the platform of a return to a focus on core services of "rates, roads and rubbish" and Park Lands protection. [20] Moran was unsuccessful, securing just 4.6% of first preference votes. [21]

Controversies

Personal life

References

Related Articles

Wikiwand AI